Robert Lacoste writes The Darker Side column in Circuit Cellular, and now he has published a book, Robert Lacoste’s The Darker Side: Practical Applications for Electronic Design Concepts from Circuit Cellar. Topics covered span digital signal design to avoiding interference. EETimes’ RF Designline has published an excerpt from Chapter 4, which covers oscillators. There are five parts:
- Introduction to oscillators, including piezoelectricity and how a crystal works.
- How to adjust a crystal, depending on whether it is to be used as a parallel resonant frequency element or a series resonant element.
- A classic quartz-based CMOS oscillator.
- How to accurately determine oscillator start up time and stability.
- What happens at higher frequencies (overtone mode)?