Bill, K0RGR, a HamRadioHelpGroup member would like to ask NEWER hams (newer meaning those that are newly licensed current to past few years or so) if they think that adding more HF privileges for entry-level licensees would encourage newcomers to stay in the hobby. While Bill is mostly interested in how new hams feel about this, there are also some responses for us old-timers.
These are the choices:
- Yes, I’m a newer Ham and I think adding more HF privileges would help keep more people active in the hobby.
- No, I’m a new Ham and what is setup currently works fine and I’m using the current HF privileges (HF 10m SSB/Digital/CW and also CW portions of 15m,40m,80m).
- No, I’m a new Ham and only use VHF/UHF FM privileges (no HF rig or I’m I interested in CW).
- I have been a Ham for years and think what is in place now for new Techs is more than enough on HF to keep interest if they really are interested in Ham Radio…leaves something to look forward to when they pass their next test the General (then full HF privileges come).
- I have been a Ham for years and welcome any changes that would advance the hobby…maybe new ides like full HF but at QRP levels for tech/novice or license by elmers…new ideas might help our hobby.
- No, I’m a new Ham but only interested in VHF/UHF Emergency Communications (ECOM,ARES,ETC).
- Yes, I’m a new Ham but there are no close Ham Clubs, no close Elmers, and no VHF/UHF activity and I don’t understand what privileges I have as a Tech on HF.
- I’m an old Ham, been around for years, I would not like so much more people in the hobby but people that would be active, our numbers for techs is large but my guess is the majority are inactive…I would rather have 10 very active new Hams adding to our hobby than 100 that add nothing because they are inactive.
I think that a little more thought could have been given to these answers, but it’s a great question. We need to do something to get more newly-licensed people on the air and involved.
The poll will end on 8/31/13. If you are a member of the HamRadioHelpGroup, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HamRadioHelpGroup/surveys?id=13187658 to vote. If you’re not a member, and don’t want to join the group, please comment here.