N1JOY is putting together a really neat communications trailer lovingly called HamCOW, short for Ham Communications on Wheels. Features include:
- Spacious – 28 feet long x 8 feet wide x 7 feet high inside.
- 5 comfortable operating positions, each one has 2 wired Ethernet connections, 4 antenna ports wired
to a coax patch panel, dedicated Astron 50 or 70 Amp power supply, Anderson Powerpole DC connections, a small fluorescent light, and AC outlets.
- 3 tier radio bench for power supplies, computers, radios, & accessories.
- 42 foot heavy duty locking pneumatic tower with redundant air compressors (120 VAC & 12 VDC). The tower guy wires use high quality Aeroquip tension adjusters for rapid deployment, and is topped off with a HAM-IV rotor and Yagi’s for 6M, 2M, 432 SSB/ATV & a tri-band 144/220/440 vertical. Tower also sports a canvas cover to keep the elements off the hardware when not in use.
- Antennas for all bands from 160 Meters to 450 MHz, including a fully automated satellite array.
In addition, it has a kitchen, toilet, shower, and sleeping accomodations. What a great project! It’s gotta be costing a ton of money, though.